Saturday, August 10, 2019

#TravelTuesday - Going to Uruguay from Buenos Aires

While I was traveling this summer I had the thought to go visit Uruguay while I was in Argentina. I was staying in Buenos Aires, which is fairly close by, but when I researched it online (while I was there) all the information I got was completely wrong! So I thought I would share my experience and what I did to help enlighten you so you don't lose a bunch of money on a scam or anything like that while also helping you go visit another country and get a passport stamp!






Let me start off by saying that when I first had the idea of going to Uruguay I looked into flights. I thought that even though it was an international flight from Argentina to Uruguay they were close enough that it wouldn't be too expensive. Boy was I wrong! It ended up costing more than $400 USD each way. I don't know about you but that's how much I spend round trip from one side of the US to the other side, and even then I would pay less. I then researched online and found out that there were ferry boats that went between the two countries. Sounds great, right? Well then I looked in to the ferry boat companies and most of the times were decent but it was about $180 USD. Now, compared to the $400 USD that was saving but I still felt a little suspicious about it. It was an online site all about ferries around the world, which sounds fake because not every company is constantly sharing their information, you know?

It is thanks to that nagging feeling that I decided I should go to the ferry company myself in person! There was Colonia Express or Buqubus to choose between. It's an easy and quick Google search so I'm not going to link them here. I'm going to assume you are capable of doing it yourself. I ended up walking to Colonia Express because it was closer to my Airbnb. When I got there I found the ticketing office and asked about dates and times to go. There was the option of going to Colonia Del Sacramento or Montevideo. It was all about the dates and times to work with my travel plans so I ended up choosing Colonia Del Sacramento (expect a post about that soon).

Now, the times that Colonia Express offered were completely different than the times that were listed at the online ferry website for them! I'm talking that the hours listed online were five hours off from when the actual company had their boats leaving. Can you imagine the horror if I had paid the $180 USD to go and got to the ferry port and ended up missing everything? Talk about a waste of money! Now here's the best part. The round trip ticket to ride the ferry only ended up costing $60 USD! I saved the $120 USD from the fake online price but in reality also saved myself all that money along with the heartache of showing up at the wrong time with a fake ticket that was useless.

Now, Colonia Express also has an offer to go on a tour that they provide while in Colonia Del Sacramento. I decided that I didn't need the tour because it was another $50 USD for the day I choose. I'll talk about that more in another post when I talk about visiting Colonia Del Sacramento. I was not paid to do this post or given anything for doing it (although I wish I was!) I honestly just wanted to share the information with you so then you could have some happy travels. No one wants the grief of purchasing a ticket that isn't actually valid. Either way I hope you enjoyed this post. Let me know in the comments below if you've visited Uruguay from Buenos Aires and how you got there. Also where did you end up going and did you enjoy it? Even if you haven't visited do you plan to one day? (:

No comments :

Post a Comment