Saturday, October 17, 2020

Coffee Meets Bagel - Hike Date

Johnny and I had a great time video chatting. He mentioned wanting to meet up and go on a hike so I agreed. I decided to let him pick the hike, since he claimed to have experience with rock climbing and things of that nature. I mean, the last time I picked a hike the guy practically suffered the entire time because he had claimed to be more experienced than he actually was. It wasn't even that hard of a hike but you know, some guys like to build themselves up to be bigger than they are. So let's get to it!

As you know, during these trying times everyone is trying to get out of their house and do something outdoors. It is supposedly fall now, or was a week or so ago (time isn't real), but the temperature is finally under 100 degrees so that's an improvement. Johnny sent me the hike he was thinking of and it's a nice chill out, just outside of Red Rock. Now, as I mentioned previously everyone is trying to get out and do things. That means places like Red Rock and Mount Charleston are packed with people just trying to get out and do something. So Johnny and I had to decide what time we wanted to meet up. Earlier was better, because it meant less people on the trail. We settled on meeting at 7:00am. Quite early, but it was fine since we were going hiking.

I woke up at 6:00am, well I planned to wake up that early but for some reason found myself feeling sick and awake at 5:45am. That wasn't fun but I was able to fall back asleep and woke up at 6:30am feeling better. Since we were going hiking I wasn't going to doll myself up for that! I brushed my hair, put it in a ponytail, brushed my teeth, didn't put on any makeup, put on my hiking clothes, and grabbed my camelback to go. We both had about a 20 minute commute to get to the hike so I sent a text saying that I was leaving and on my way. I knew the spot didn't have good cell service so I thought it would be a good thing to at least let him know I was still coming. As I got into my car still no text response from Johnny but I figured no big deal. It was 15 minutes later that I realized I still had no response and decided whatever. I would just hike alone if that was the case. No big deal, I was all ready up early and deserved to still do something fun.

I parked and got out of my car only to see a few cars but no people around. Either Johnny was late or he wasn't going to come. Maybe he had ghosted me after making the plan to hike. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised by that happening. There was no cell service so I wouldn't be able to call or text him, which like I mentioned was fine because I could go hiking  I started making my way to the trail head and Johnny approached me saying hello. The first thing I noticed was the fact that he didn't have a mask on. The second thing I noticed was that he was in fact taller than me! Not by much but at least he hadn't lied about his height. He had a semi lean build, which made sense after all his talk about working out and staying fit. I realized why his pictures all had the top of his head cut off in some weird manner. He was balding. He had a bald spot on the back of his head and his hairline was receding badly so he let his hair grow out long to try and style it forward to hide it. Sorry, but the bald look just isn't for me. On top of that when he talked he would get a spit in the side of his mouth, like he'd forgotten to swallow. Call me harsh but it was all a turn off for me. 

Johnny had been waiting at the trailhead, which was fine.  He sort of gave me a strange look though because I was wearing a mask and he wasn't.  He eagerly gave me a hug, which was a big tight squeeze that surprised me. I mean, I don't know the last time I hugged someone in the past six months that wasn't family. He of course asked before hugging me and I was fine with it since I had my mask on and in our video call he had mentioned wearing a mask so I assumed he just didn't want to wear one while exercising.

Johnny and I started hiking along the rock trail path and didn't pass anyone. I pointed out that he had no camelback or water bottle and he answered that they were in his car for after the hike. He didn't think he'd need them for such a short hike. I had my camelback but didn't care because I'd rather have everything I need than depend on things back in the car. You know the one time I don't have my camelback is the time I'll need something in it. Anyway, Johnny asked me about work and I filled him in on the latest drama with my team not listening. I asked how all his projects were going and he answered that they were going well and he'd be busy working more this weekend. As we hiked along we ended up getting to a part where the "trail" went up. I put the word trail in quotation marks because we were sort of going wherever we wanted. Johnny mentioned that he tended to pick the more difficult route and that's just how it went.

I was easily able to keep up and Johnny would turn around after climbing to watch me and see if I needed help. In the moment I got slightly annoyed because, "hey, I can do this myself thanks." but at the same time I know it is a nice thing to do even though I never do it while hiking. Either you can handle it or you can't. #sorrynotsorry Anyway we hiked up about a mile and a half with a great view. He sat on a rock and I sat on another one, a good distance away from each other (like 6 feet) because the rocks were mostly jagged so that wouldn't have been comfortable to sit on. I took off my mask and drank some water and he immediately said, "I wondered how long that would last." That confused me. I was doing just fine wearing a mask and hiking. I replied, "Well I have to drink water. The mask doesn't mess up my ability to breathe while hiking." Johnny just sort of shook his head at that. This confused me. We had talked about COVID and he had talked about being sick of it like everyone else, because honestly who isn't sick of it at this point? I didn't think that meant he'd shame me for wearing a mask.

I then mentioned that I was visiting my parents the next day and that shut him up because yeah, I'm wearing a mask so I don't endanger others. I don't know you that well dude. Either way Johnny then started talking about COVID and how half the data is made up. You know, gun shot deaths being reported as COVID deaths. People back in his home state of California getting positive COVID results even though they'd never been tested. I'm glad I had my mask on or I think he would have been confused by how far my jaw dropped at his words. Like what is Johnny smoking because I need some apparently to believe such nonsense. Johnny continued on about how he believed in humans and the immune system so schools needed to open because no kids were dying from COVID. I pointed out that we don't know the long term effects of COVID so it is better to be safe than sorry. On top of that most kids live with adults who are parents or even grandparents so there's the risk of spreading it to them. Johnny didn't like that too much and said that after six to nine months of knowing about COVID we know all that we need to know so everything would be fine.

My dudes. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!? How long does it take to learn about the effects of any disease or illness? More than six to nine months. Especially when most of that time was spent denying that it was even an issue. I mean, I did not have it in me to argue with him. I wasn't going to change his mind and that was fine. It was more than telling enough for me that the date was over and done with. I didn't need to see Johnny again. I mentioned that my brother tested positive for COVID and that him to shut up. Johnny immediately asked if he was all right and I answered that after quarantining for two week he was doing fine for now. Again, still don't know the long term side effects but that effectively ended that conversation. 

I said I was good to start heading back down but Johnny mentioned that he could keep hiking. I replied he easily could if he wanted but I was good to head back down. He laughed before starting to lead the way back down. Oh, I forgot to mention. Johnny didn't like being behind me. He had to be in front leading the way for the hike for some odd reason. He truly was trying too hard to prove himself. I get it bro, you've hiked before. Congrats. Now I know you're an idiot though so nothing you do will impress me. Here's a picture I took on our way back down:


The hike back down was easy enough and Johnny was still eager to prove himself jumping and hopping all over the place. You know, such a pro hiker and all. I filled the air just talking about music and travel and other random things because it didn't matter. I was all ready planning not to talk to Johnny or see him again. Besides that, he wasn't really talking too much anymore. He could ask plenty of questions but stopped telling stories or answering questions with more than a sentence. By the time we got back to the parking lot we passed one couple along the trail and neither of them had a mask on so that made me feel even better about my decision to wear one. Johnny told me he had fun and gave me a hug goodbye before I got in my car and drove away. Thankfully we went early because on my drive out there were tons of cars coming in.

So, Johnny is a no go for me. I just can't get over the fact that he believes COVID has just been blown out of proportion. If people wore a mask for the two weeks we would see an improvement, but instead people don't want to wear a mask as a political statement because they aren't sheep. Sorry if you don't feel the same way but I know what I'm about. I know we've all seen people either not wearing a mask or not wearing a mask properly and yet there's still confusion about how the disease is still spreading?

Now, a few hours after the hike Johnny sent me the following text:


No questions there bro. I'm glad he was able to pick up what I was putting down. I honestly was just planning on ghosting him. He clearly didn't want to talk anymore and I had nothing more to say. I decided not to even respond to his text because what can I say? "Good luck bro" just sounds fake and saying anything back isn't worth my time and effort. If we can't agree on COVID then what is the point? I mean, to me that's a pretty big deal breaker. 

What do you all think about Johnny? Do you agree that COVID is being blown out of proportion? Or are you just as baffled as I am by such a thought process? On top of that would this be a deal breaker for you like it is for me? I mean, we know it's not easy to date during a global pandemic but it is very eye opening to know how someone acts during this time. It's a bit of a life saver and time saver. Anyway, let me know what you think in the comments down below. (:

No comments :

Post a Comment