Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Coffee Meets Bagel - First Video Chat

As those of you who follow me on Twitter know I matched with someone on Coffee Meets Bagel, which is surprising to me as well because I had just been lamenting about how I was ready to give up on the dating apps for the time being. Either way I matched with a guy and he immediately started messaging me, which was surprising. As you're well aware most guys struggle to hold any sort of conversation that is decent. I suppose I should explain.

For the sake of this post we're going to call the guy Johnny. Now, Johnny started off asking me what my favorite feeling was during a race. I was a bit surprised, since that definitely isn't a typical conversation starter. Turns out he'd run a marathon and and so we both enjoyed running races. Then we started to talk about work, which he said he worked in technology so that was cool. Then conversation turned to books and reading. Then on to hiking. We were messaging back and forth for an hour in the app before he asked if we could text. I was fine with that and gave him my number.



Discussion turned to travel and things like that. I felt like we were vibing pretty well in my humble opinion. Johnny then asked about doing a video call in a few days. I figured that would be fine. I'd all ready given him my number so doing a video call wouldn't hurt. Then I could see how well he matched his pictures and all that jazz. We decided on a day and time and that was that. In between the video call we texted a bit, but were both swamped with work and stated as much.

When it was time for the video call I actually felt a bit nervous. I don't exactly know why but I imagine it's because I hadn't done a video chat with someone from a dating app before and on top of that everyone who I've video chatted with over the past six months has been a friend or family member. Johnny was on the call before me and when I joined in it was easy to start discussing things as usual. He was seated, looked like his pictures, although he kind of kept his head near the top of the frame. As we talked about things he had one of those protein shake bottles but was drinking water from it. I imagine he was nervous as he kept opening and closing it off camera, making a loud pop sort of sound. It makes sense but I bet he didn't even realize that he was doing it.

Johnny started talking to me about politics, describing himself as a libertarian in the sense that he believes there should be less government. He explained he was all about respecting people's beliefs and opinions as long as they could explain themselves because he hated when people just followed the crowd. Which, ok fair enough. Plenty of people just stick with what a majority are doing without having their own convictions. Plus, government is a mess right now so I understand no caring about it but at the same time it's there so we need to do what we can to improve it.

Then Johnny asked if I was religious. I explained that I wasn't and he told me that he wasn't truly religious but the closest he could relate to was buddhism in the sense of doing good unto others and then good things happen to you. I can get on board with that because it shouldn't be hard to be nice and do good things but for some people it truly is a struggle. Johnny said he had studied and looked into a lot of religions out of curiosity and said that they taught moral and ethical things but the problem was for people to actually follow through and do them. That's the truth.

I can't recall every little thing we talked about because we literally talked about a lot of different things since it was almost a TWO HOUR video call. Now, can I be honest and tell you that I did not dress up or doll myself up for the video call? My hair was done and that was about it. I had on no makeup, a t-shirt, and called it good. That clearly didn't put Johnny off as when we finished up talking, because we had to go to bed for work in the morning, he mentioned wanting to go on a hike with me that weekend. I told him that would be fun and I was game. Johnny said he'd look into hikes and get back to me with some suggestions that was between both of us. 

Well, stay tuned for how the hike turns out. I figured a hike would be an easy date because social distancing is easy outdoors and I can wear a mask along with everyone else. No big deal. From the conversation we've had I take it that he wears a mask and does a lot more delivery ordering so he doesn't have to frequent the store and possibly expose himself since he has family nearby and doesn't want to get anyone sick. Never fear, I'll be safe. 

What do you all think of Johnny? I mean, I appreciate the fact that he was even able to hold a conversation and was the one to ask about video chatting and even meeting up to go hiking. Kudos. I feel like most guys kind of wait trying to see all their options and want the girl to make the first move. Either way let me know what you think in the comments down below. (:

No comments :

Post a Comment