Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Movies I Watched

I'm trying something new here on the blog where I talk about the movies that I've watched this month. Some may be new releases and others could be older but still enjoyable or horrible nonetheless. Either way I'll share my opinions on them and we'll just go from there, yeah? I know there's so many movies out there but maybe I'll have some you haven't seen and spark your interest.


Kin

Rating: 7/10

Review: I honestly didn't know what to expect with Kin so I was pleasantly surprised. Michael B. Jordan had advertised a bit about it on his Instagram so I was intrigued. The story is definitely one about family, no matter what, and I like how that plays throughout the story. You have a kid who finds an alien gun that only works for him, so of course you're trying to figure out what makes the kid so special. Add some drama because his big brother just got out of prison and boy do things take off! Some aspects were a bit much but it definitely left me wanting more by the end of the movie. My only question is, are we getting a sequel? And if so, when?




Peppermint

Rating: 9/10

Review: We all know Liam Neeson's Taken franchise so please do yourself a favor and see Peppermint. Jennifer Garner is amazing! Her husband and daughter are killed by gang members and when the justice system fails she's out to take revenge on the anniversary of their deaths. You really want her to succeed the whole time and watching how everything plays out keeps you on the edge of your seat. There's plenty of action and I'm pretty sure the only reason it is rated R is because you do see some people die. I feel like this movie hasn't gotten as much buzz as it deserves so I say you all go see it ASAP!





Hereditary (Redbox)

Rating: 10/10

Review: If I'm being honest I'm not really big on scary movies. I tend to predict what happens next and that leaves me bored because I like to be left guessing what will happen next. I saw a review that claimed Hereditary was this generation's Sixth Sense so that definitely had me intrigued. Watching this was a fucking rollercoaster if I'm being honest. I had no clue what would happen next and that's what I loved about it! It doesn't just live off of jump scares or anything like that, but it can be pretty gruesome because there is death and you see someone who appears to be losing their mind. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who thinks they know horror movies because it won't be what you're expecting.



To All The Boys I've Loved Before (Netflix)

Rating: 9/10

Review: I feel that I'm late to the game but at this point most of you have either seen or heard of this movie. I really enjoyed it because it is a cute little romcom movie that Netflix did an amazing job of producing. I really enjoyed all the characters and even with it's cheesy start of Lara Jean writing love letters to every boy she's loved it was fun to see the chaos unwind from the letters getting out. This movie is one you definitely want to watch again just because it is so cute and enjoyable. Nothing wrong with some fake dating just to keep things safe, right?






Sierra Burgess is a Loser (Netflix)

Rating: 3/10

Review: If you're thinking "Wait, isn't that the guy from To All The Boys I've Loved Before?" then you're right! It is! That's what had me wanting to see the movie, along with the power ranger who you may or may not have noticed. The movie has Sierra struggling to stand out on her college applications while also getting texted by a super cute guy who has the wrong number. Yes she befriends the mean girl who is the reason the cute guy even texts Sierra in the first place and you see why said mean girl is mean but at the same time I found myself not even caring. The movie just kind of played and I wasn't truly invested because of how little I cared. Maybe some of you might like it but I found it lacking.



Sydney White (Netflix)

Rating: 7/10

Review: Remember when Amanda Bynes was in all the movies? Yeah, me too and I miss that. This movie was a fun take on Snow White and the Seven Dwarves but in college! I enjoy this movie just because you have Sydney who is such a tom boy showing that she can be successful no matter what in college while also still getting the guy and helping others improve their lives as well. Don't worry, there are plenty of ups and downs though that you expect to see in a college setting. Just sit back and enjoy watching how it all plays out.






Coraline (Netflix)

Rating: 9/10

Review: I only recently found out that a lot of people find this movie to be quite horrifying, which is strange to me. I know that the author said in an interview before that children love the movie but adults are horrified by it. I guess I'm still just a child at heart then. I enjoyed this movie just because the animation is unforgettable and at the same time it's just so different. You really don't know what to expect when Coraline moves to a new home and discovers there's a whole different world in her basement. How could you hate a place where everything is the way you want it to be? It's worth a watch and I feel like it's kind of fitting for the month of October.




Queen of Katwe (Netflix)

Rating: 8/10

Review: Disney was behind this movie but I feel like I didn't know anything about it until after it was out of theaters and on DVD. Thankfully it was on Netflix though so I could watch it. It's based on the true story of a girl who is a chess prodigy from a slum in Uganda. It's refreshing to see a story of a girl who is believed in make growth towards what she is good at. Don't worry though, there's still some struggles and issues that you see play out because just like life not everything is fair. I would say you should give this movie a chance if you enjoy learning the real life story of others and the amazing things that people are able to do.




The Kissing Booth (Netflix)

Rating: 4/10

Review: Netflix is churning out the romcoms as of late but I'm not sure they're hitting the mark with all of them. In this one you have a girl who's in love with her best friend's brother. Shocking that such a revelation could ruin a friendship, especially when the older brother is the star jock and the younger brother gets no attention in the slightest. This movie plays out with the girl trying to run a kissing booth at the school in order to raise money for a club and she promises that her best friend's older brother will be working it so every girl in school will want to come. After that it's just one thing after another that brings the girl closer to her crush and further from her best friend. I can't say I need to see it again.



Breadwinner (Netflix)

Rating: 10/10

Review: The animation style in the movie is so amazing and flawless that it's hard not to fall in love with it. On top of that you have an amazing story of what one girl will sacrifice in order to try and keep her family together while her father is taken away to jail in Afghanistan. Watching this movie makes you wonder what you would have done in order to be able to somehow make it by. I don't want to say anything more because you honestly just need to watch it. I can't recommend this movie enough! It's one I would gladly watch again.






Set it Up (Netflix)

Rating: 6/10

Review: What happens when you have two people who work as executive assistants to two of the most demanding people in the world? You have them realize that they should set their bosses up because of course they know them best. While their bosses are busy maybe they'll even have a social life! That's the whole premise of this movie and it's actually pretty entertaining to watch things play out. You have hate at first interaction mixed with some "wait you hate your boss too?" moments and then things begin. I think my most relatable part is when one of the friend's gets married and it's like, "You're too young for that!" because they aren't adults yet.




Mary and the Witch's Flower (Netflix)

Rating: 10/10

Review: Do you love Studio Ghibli? Do you love animated movies? Well then boy do I have news for you! This wonderful movie is by a production company made up of some of Ghibli's employees. The story is one of a girl with red hair who seems to have the worst luck in the world, that is until she's thought of to be the most powerful witch! This leads her on a strange adventure as she has to figure out whether to tell the truth that she doesn't know what she's doing or to play along because for once people don't think of her as a nuisance.






Unsane (Amazon Prime)

Rating: 10/10

Review: What do you do when you believe that the man who stalked you before has found you again? You seek help of course! In this movie you follow along with a young woman as she gets committed to a mental health facility and is unable to leave. During this time the man who she knows is her stalker is working there but no matter what she does she's unable to escape. This movie is a wild ride and I don't want to say any more for fear that it will spoil things. One fun fact though is that the entire movie was shot on an iPhone. Give it a watch though because you won't know what to expect.





The Beguiled (HBO GO)

Rating: 4/10

Review: In this movie you have an all girls school in the south during the civil war take in a soldier from the north. Apparently this movie is based on a book and it received some backlash for not including a black character who was in the book. If I'm being honest I didn't read the book and I really don't think any extra character would have brought anything to this movie because I found myself intrigued at first before losing interest. I'm sure you can guess that some of the women in the all girls school fall a little bit in love with the soldier but as things play out you start to wonder what they're willing to do for love.





The Lego Batman Movie (HBO GO)

Rating: 9/10

Review: This is a movie that I love just because it is so fun and silly. I have friends who are die hard Batman fans who absolutely refused to watch it and I feel like they're missing out. It's funny, light hearted, and serious at the right times. I really can't wait for the sequel to this one just because it was so enjoyable. Do I know the Friends are Family song by heart? Why yes, yes I do. I can't help but put this movie on when I'm not sure what to watch because I find myself enjoying it every single time. I hope the sequel comes out soon because I want more laughs.








So those are the movies that I've watched recently and my review on each of them. What do you think? Have you seen any of these movies? Do you agree or disagree with me? Let me know in the comments down below.

No comments :

Post a Comment