Saturday, November 2, 2019

Movie Date

For those of you who follow me on Twitter you know that I recently went to a birthday party. I ended up arriving right on time, which is not the protocol because everyone ended up arriving an hour or two late. I apparently missed the memo. Since I was there on time there were only a few other people there and so to kill time we just started to random things. It passed the time and when others arrived for the party I met up with my friends and spent the rest of the evening with them. I eft the party and within a few hours I had a message on Facebook from a stranger.



One of the guys who had arrived on time like myself had managed to find me through Facebook stalking and sent me that message. We're going to call him Chase for the sake of this post. One of the things we had discussed while killing time was recent movie adaptations and what was worthwhile and what wasn't. I was a bit surprised that Chase had gone through all the effort of finding me on Facebook but you know, whatever I guess. That's just dedication.

So I replied to Chase's message, saying yes to going to a movie. He wanted to go out that weekend but I was heading out of town and told him as much. He then suggested the following weekend (aka just the other day) and I said that worked. That became the plan. Chase suggested going to the Addam's Family movie, which was fine by me. There aren't a lot of good movies out at the moment, besides Joker of course, and I don't think that's an appropriate first date movie. Or maybe it is but you definitely have to know the person well enough before inviting them to see that sort of movie.

Chase gave me his number and we began texting. I was terrible at replying on Facebook Messenger, since I don't really use it and only have it for when I travel internationally. He started texting me every day. Just asking how work was, my hobbies, and interests. Just normal things as far as I'm concerned. Chase informed me that he was a bit of a gypsy, moving around a lot in the past few years for work just to try and be somewhere new. While I was out of town he messaged to ask how it was going and if I was having fun.

To be honest it was refreshing to have a guy actually messaging me and asking questions. I can't tell you how many guys on the dating apps can't have an actual conversation and don't know how to ask questions. They just expect the girl to do it all and that just doesn't fly for me. Either way it was finally the night of the movie and he texted asking if I had seen Zombieland. I replied I had seen bits and pieces of it on tv. Chase then asked if I was fine with seeing that instead of the Addam's Family. I told him sure, since I didn't really have a preference.



Thankfully Chase took care of the tickets, since I would have been super annoyed to try and get an exchange on tickets because he changed the movie fairly last minute. I mean, within two hours of the movie starting. I drove myself to the theater and tried to prep myself. Sure, we'd been texting but it had been two weeks since I'd last seen him in person. I was running late because I'd managed to hit every red light. I texted and informed him of such and Chase just said to take my sweet time.

Once I arrived at the theater I texted him to say that I'd parked and walked inside. Chase was there waiting and greeted me with a hug. He bought himself a drink and we then went in to the theater. He offered to buy me a drink and popcorn but I told him I was fine. I had just eaten dinner and I absolutely hate concession prices at movie theaters so I couldn't justify it. We went in and sat down to enjoy the show. The movie was all right, probably funnier than the Addam's Family, but now I may never know.

After the movie was over we left and started talking some more as we walked. I realized that Chase was barely my heigh, at best. He was a bit on the bigger side, which hey I get that's a thing. But I discovered that although we both enjoyed movies and had some things in common, I just wasn't that interested in being something more with him. Some of you might find that harsh because it was just one date, but what can I say? There just wasn't anything more there. In my mind we could easily be movie friends and if I'm being honest I now realize I just said yes to the movie date because I didn't want to come across as a bitch. You know, nothing like saying no to a date with a guy who has a similar friend circle when everyone knows you're single.

So if anything I did have a fun time and I do enjoy his company, but we certainly won't be having any more dates coming up that mean anything romantic. I'll keep you posted since he just texted me asking if we could "hang" again and go for tacos. Does this mean he doesn't want to date? Stay tuned....


No comments :

Post a Comment