Sunday, February 23, 2020

Movie Time - What I Watched

Something different isn't a bad thing right? I've been watching a lot of movies lately and some were nominated for awards and such but others are just recent. So I thought I'd share some that I'd seen and let you know my thoughts on them. I don't expect anyone to agree but hey, if my suggestion gets you to watch a movie and you enjoy it that's great! (:



Movie: Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey

Rating: 7/10

Summary: Harley Quinn had protection in Gotham thanks to being with the Joker but now that they've broken up everyone is out to get her for any grievances she's caused. Turns out she's not the only one who might want revenge.

Thoughts: I really enjoyed the storytelling for this movie. The way the timing and pacing went together was great as it was Harley telling what had happened or what was happening. It truly is more of a Harley Quinn movie and not so much about the other ladies but it is a nice introduction. It was way better than Suicide Squad making me not really care about anyone. I hope there will be another movie where we get a little more of everyone but who knows.



Movie: 1917

Rating: 9/10

Summary: During World War 1 two British soldiers receive seemingly impossible orders. They have to race against time to cross into enemy territory to deliver a message that could save 1,600 of their fellow comrades as well as one of their own brothers.

Thoughts: Look, I get it. A lot of people are over war movies. I really enjoyed this one though. You truly did not get a break and it felt like you were there along for the journey and hoping that things worked out. The two main actors really pulled this off for me and sold it, with the bigger name actors really only appearing at the end and for a short amount of time. There's plenty to analyze with hints given throughout that it just breaks my heart later on to make those connections. Definitely give this one a shot.


Movie: Parasite

Rating: 10/10

Summary: The summary online honestly gives it away so my own summary is who is truly a parasite between the rich and the poor?

Thoughts: GO SEE THE MOVIE RIGHT NOW! I am so glad it has won so many awards (although the actors were all jipped in my opinion) because that means it is back in theaters for a wider release because more people are interested. This is a movie I don't want to say a lot about because it truly is something you just have to see. Bong Joon-ho (the director) is brilliant and you can tell the cast all get along and do a wonderful job to bring it to life. It's very applicable to today's society and really sends you for a trip. If you're on twitter send me a tweet and we can discuss it further.


Movie: The Farewell

Rating: 9/10

Summary: Billi's family returns to China under the guise of a fake wedding to say goodbye to their grandmother, the only person who doesn't know that she only has a few weeks to live.

Thoughts: This movie is very underrated! It is currently on Amazon so if you have Prime be sure to watch it! You won't regret it in my opinion. The story is very intriguing due to the fact that in China it is common not to tell older family members when they are sick. Hell, even the doctors and nurses go along with the ruse to say that everything is fine. Billi is the favorite granddaughter but she feels the immense guilt of not telling her that she has cancer. The whole family is in on the lie and the fact that this is based on a true story makes it more palpable. You watch as this family struggles with what to do and it's just brilliantly done.

Movie: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Rating: 2/10

Summary: Actor Rick Dalton gained family for staring in Westerns on tv but now is struggling to find work in Hollywood when no one recognizes him. He spends time with his best friend and stunt double Cliff Booth. Rick happens to live next to Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate - the filmmaker and budding actress whose futures will forever be altered by members of the Manson Family.

Thoughts: Why did this movie even get made? How did it even get nominated for any awards? I got bored after the first 30 minute and the movie is nearly three hours long. Leonardo Dicaprio and Margot Robbie couldn't even save it for me. I'm actually surprised Brad Pitt won an award for best supporting actor. The movie is long and drawn out. I now get the jokes about Tarantino being obsessed with feet because it was weirdly obviously and made no sense to have feet suddenly be the focal point in multiple shots. Whatever though. Save your money and your time and don't bother with this movie.

Movie: To All The Boys P.S. I Still Love You

Rating: 5/10

Summary: This is the sequel To All The Boys I Loved Before on Netflix. Lara Jean has her relationship with Peter but when one of the other recipients of her old love letters shows up what will happen next?

Thoughts: I get it, sequels are hard to do. But I just didn't care about this. I didn't care about John Ambrose one bit. I read the book and the movie did not do it justice. There as so much more drama they could have added like the book had that would have made it more climatic and worthy of paying attention to. Instead I just waited for the dumb ending when Peter and Lara Jean kissed. It's on Netflix if you want to check it out but the book is definitely worth the read.


Movie: The King

Rating: 7/10

Summary: Young Henry V encounters deceit, war, and treachery after becoming the King of England in the 15th century in the aftermath of his brother's death.

Thoughts: I rather enjoyed this telling where you have the son who doesn't want to become the king be forced into the role. All the actors were wonderful in their roles. I can't say any of them did anything wrong. The battle scenes were well done because I cared about the strategy and what was happening. I feel like a lot of battle scenes are just meant to look epic rather than like the mess that they truly were. The King delivered with believable battle moments that weren't just about big explosions or out of this world events.


Movie: Jojo Rabbit

Rating: 9/10

Summary: Jojo is a lonely German boy who discovers that his single mother is hiding a jewish girl in their attic. Aided only by his imaginary friend Adolf Hitler, Jojo must confront his blind nationalism as World War II continues to rage on.

Thoughts: Taika Waititi strikes again! The first half of this movie has you laughing and the second half has you crying. Truly the summary just gives you an idea but the humor in this movie is great along with the realism of what's happening during such a dire situation. I'm sure you're thinking, "What the fuck? Adolf Hitler as an imaginary friend? What sort of nonsense?" but trust me and give this movie a chance and enjoy watching it. I know I did.




Have you seen any of these movies? What did you think? Do we have similar opinions or differing ones? Let me know in the comments down below (:

No comments :

Post a Comment