Saturday, April 22, 2017

Coffee Meets Bagel - Pathological Liar

It's easy to make things up when talking about yourself to a stranger. I mean, what do they really know about you? Nothing. You're the one who has to fill them in about yourself. You get to decide what information you share about yourself and what you don't. It isn't likely that you are going to start off telling one of your most embarrassing stories or with terrible things that you've done in your life. Instead you're going to start off nice and easy with topics like what you do for work, where you went to school, and what you like to do. However, what do you do when the profile on a dating app starts becoming less and less believable?


For the sake of this post we're going to call this guy Caleb. This is the profile info Caleb has on Coffee Meets Bagel. I usually look through all the pictures before getting to the info because if a guy is attractive in his pictures that doesn't mean he's that interesting or intriguing to me. To me the important thing was Caleb's height, which he says is 6'2". Yes, I am that girl who cares about height because I'm tall as well. I have standards. His race and religion aren't super important to me in regards to making or breaking a relationship, especially when it hasn't even started yet. 

To then see his occupation is a rocket scientist was a bit confusing. Don't rocket scientists need to live somewhere near NASA or are we building rocket ships in Las Vegas and no one told me? His employer is "his parents' basement", which should be his parent's basement. This made his job even more confusing. Does he not have a job with NASA or any other rocket science employer? Is he working out of his parent's basement on some super secret project that no one else will support him on? This is something I almost need to know.

To continue further he has a PhD from UBC, which is kind of impressive and would make sense with being a rocket scientist I suppose. Then to describe himself saying he's handsome, rich, famous, and also a pathological liar immediately put things together. We all know if he was rich and famous he wouldn't be in his parent's basement. But the whole pathological liar bit is what gets me. Caleb's whole profile is a joke. He's just having fun filling it out saying whatever he wants and hoping he gets matches with girls he likes thanks to his pictures. Good luck with that Caleb.

I think my favorite part is that he "life heavy things 5x a week" because what are the life heavy things? What is weighing on your mind Caleb? What is it that is bringing your life down five times a week? That's a good majority of your week so it doesn't sound like a very good thing to be dealing with. Thankfully in your parent's basement you're pretty safe from life because I'm going to guess that part isn't a lie. You can't life heavy things when you don't have a life Caleb.

I don't know why the whole lobster and steak dinner has become the epitome of a fancy date but it has. As far as I'm concerned if there's good food and good conversation that's all I need for a date. Going all out and trying to be fancy can become a turn off because with too much it's just showing off. It can be fun, don't get me wrong, but being realistic doing something that's very expensive isn't feasible in the long run. Unless you're a millionaire then I guess you might be set. I don't think his list of what he appreciates about his date is that funny either but in all likelihood he's serious about it.

I really hope I'm not the only one who actually looks through the information people list on their profile because I'm afraid there are a lot of girls missing out on Caleb being a pathological liar and his dating profile being more about seeing who isn't paying attention to who is. Or at least how he decides to describe himself.

What do you all think about Caleb's profile? Were you as turned off as I was by the pathological liar bit? What do you actually think Caleb does for work, besides living in his parent's basement? I'm curious to know what you would do if you came across a profile like Caleb's. Would you try to match with him just to try and have a conversation to figure out what he's lying about? Or would you just pass on him because you don't have time to waste? Let me know what you think in the comments below. (:

No comments :

Post a Comment