Saturday, September 16, 2017

OkCupid - Shat On It

Story telling is a great way to get to know someone. It's fun to get a glimpse into someone else's nature by the way they express themselves with a story. Even listening to the story that somehow gets decided upon can be funny because of what a person admits they want to leave out. Sure, some people just aren't very good at telling stories but that is their loss. It's something to work on. Today I present to you someone who could have been good at story telling, but still needs to work on properly ending the story.



I would like to preface this and say that in my defense of a very late response OkCupid has been struggling with messages for me lately. I won't see messages in my inbox for weeks for some reason. I find that even if i delete old messages the new ones won't show up. If there's anyone who has solved this issue let me know, because I'd love to not appear like a total jerk when it comes to messaging on dating apps.

I can honestly say that I've never received a first message like this. I was actually so confused by it that I thought maybe it was some sort of inside joke that I just didn't know about. Was there some tv show or movie that had made this reference that I was completely unaware of? I just didn't know. 

The bit about government promises being full of holes has to be my favorite bit, considering the way politics is going in the U.S. right now. If you aren't aware of everything that's going on right now a quick Google search can easily fill you in. That's a different topic to talk about another day though. So I decided just to ask what happened to get the car so messed up. A story about taking the car off roading or having it get stuck in the middle of a freak accident on the highway was what I expected to hear. Remember that car covered in eels? Yeah, I was imagining something along those lines if we were talking about a freak accident. A funny story about trying to take it off roading would be interesting just because I've yet to see a car that should be taken anywhere off the road because it isn't lifted like a truck.

Instead I get the response that he shat on it. In my mind I had all ready built up a lot of possibilities for how the story started only to get such a lame answer. I suppose you could say that I had high expectations but if I'm being honest I don't think I was. Starting with such a line makes you think that there's a great story behind the demise of his car, does it not? Wouldn't you want to hear what happened?

Now I have considered that he was upset by my late response. That would certainly be understandable considering it was almost two weeks later but wouldn't it have been better to not respond at all if he was so upset? I mean, if I was so bothered that's what I would do. Play the "you made me wait now I make you wait" game and call it even. Maybe he just can't hold a grudge for two weeks.

What do all of you think about this? Wouldn't you think that such a first message meant that there was a story to be told? Surely it gets the guy quite a few responses from the girls who are curious about what he is talking about. Or do you think he just ended it with a stupid line to get back at me for taking so long to respond? Perhaps we should just come up with our own story for the car. Now that would be fun! Let me know what you think in the comments below, or make your own story! (: 

No comments :

Post a Comment