Thursday, August 11, 2016

Cheaper Than Therapy: 6 Reasons Why I Run

After a long day at work I need to unwind. Everyone has their niche for what they do to achieve that. Some may take a bubble bath, have a glass of wine, or even just watch Netflix in bed while eating some ice cream. It's all about whatever works for you.

 Sometimes there are those really bad days though that no matter what you do you just can't get the anger and annoyance out of your system. Sure, you could rant to someone which always does some good because having people side with you after hearing the whole story feels great but sometimes no one else gets your situation. They can nod along but it's not the validation you need. This is where running comes in.




We all remember in Legally Blonde how running gives you endorphins and endorphins make you happy (which means you can't have committed the crime of murder… yet) but running does a bit more than that for you. It doesn't have to be all scientific, although quoting Legally Blonde is fun. Here are the reasons why I run.

1. It's at my pace. 


I control how fast or slow I go. On bad days I can run quickly to get the anger out of my system. On good days I can enjoy a slow jog around the block and take in the scenery.

2. It's a mind numbing task. 


When I run I can try to think about things regarding my life but in no time I start thinking about my run in regards to where I’m stepping and minding my pace. I don't have to think about anything other than running so my troubles can melt away.

3. It's free. 


I don't have to go out and pay a ridiculous amount of money to have access to a gym in order to run. I can simply throw on my running gear and head outside the house. The neighborhood or nearby park work perfectly as spots to get my run in.

4. Music is my friend. 


Even if running doesn't magically clear my mind music will. It goes along with my running pace as well. Fast paced playlists with dance music and pop tends to make me run a bit faster while I can focus on the up beat rhythm. If I have a slower paced playlist I can stride through my run and enjoy the relaxing sound. (The Nike+ Running App, when connected to Spotify, lets you set your pace time of running and plays music that has the tempo you need to achieve it)

5. Sense of accomplishment. 


There are many apps that I can download and use to keep track of how many miles I run. Either way all my running builds up distance and I can see how much I’ve done for the week or even month. I can also keep track of your running times to track the growth and improvement in my runs.

6. It's healthy. 


The recommendation for physical activity is 30 minutes a day at least three times a week. That's a pretty small amount of exercise to squeeze in to a schedule so by running I’m going to easily be able to knock that out.


Is there a good reason to run that I forgot? Let me know in the comments.



4 comments :

  1. I so wish I could run, I'm so unfit haha. I want to try one of those couch to 5k programs and you've given me a lot of reasons to try it out!

    Beth x
    www.adventureandanxiety.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reasons why you run ate spot on, I always feel it completely clears my head and when I run regularly it makes me a better person, less grumpy and less tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these reasons! I can understand why running is therapeutic for so many people. Personally I've never gotten into it, but I feel the same sense of calm following a yoga session!

    Katie // wordsbykatie.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I loved running! I just don't have the attention span for it and unless I'm with other people and can throw in mini challenges like sprinting up stairs I get sick of it. I feel this way about other exercise though - finally going back to my old boot camp classes after having a long time off, and can't wait to get my regular "therapy" back :)

    x Jessi
    www.fullofliving.com

    ReplyDelete