Monday, September 5, 2016

Book Review - Suicide Notes From Beautiful Girls

As I mentioned on Twitter a good friend of mine recently finished reading a book and gave it to me saying that I needed to read it. I've been terrible about reading books as of late due to my busy schedule and thanks to the internet. What can I say? The internet is distracting. Either way my friend gave me a week to read the book and with my wifi being out I was able to finish it. So here's my first book review.

Summary: They say Delia burned herself to death in her stepfather’s shed. They say it was suicide. But June doesn’t believe it. June and Delia used to be closer than anything. Best friends in that way that comes before everyone else—before guys, before family. It was like being in love, but more. They had a billion secrets, binding them together like thin silk cords. June is certain she was murdered. And she owes it to her to find out the truth…which is far more complicated than she ever could have imagined.

Language: There is swearing from the characters in this book when there's a lot going on but nothing too overbearing that it's a turnoff. I mean they are teenagers in high school.

Violence: There are characters who die, characters who inflict pain upon others, and just a lot going on in general. It's not Game of Thrones level (which is hard to reach I think) but enough going on to make you wonder what the consequences should be because in the book there aren't many given.

Drugs/Alcohol: It plays along with teens in high school getting into things they shouldn't so there is a bit of drugs and alcohol consumed and discussed throughout the book.

Sex: There's discussion of it happening, but nothing too graphic happening that it's going to scar you for life. There is a mention of a possible rape but it's brief and doesn't say much. There are relationships that are both heterosexual and homosexual.


Review: Fair warning, I'm the type of person who reads a book in order to know what happens next and how it happened. I can't just know someone dies, I have to know the how and the why and what lead up to it. This book was easy to want to keep turning the pages for because there were plenty of twists and turns throughout it that kept you guessing what would happen next. The clues were adding up or at least you thought they were until a wrench was thrown into the mix and then you were lost once more. I did enjoy it but it is a book I don't recommended for any younger teen readers. It would be something anyone out of high school could enjoy in my opinion. There were some parts that were just a bit too strange for me to believe such as the way the friendship between Delia and June was described with them being able to feel and sense what the other was at the moment when the other one wasn't present. If anything I almost want to know more about some of the minor characters that were brought in later in the book because to me that would be even more of a thrilling read! I won't spoil it for you though but if you read it let me know and I can tell you who I'd rather read about. The ending can be seen as a bit of a surprise and confusing depending on how you interpret  it so have fun with that!

Rating: 6/10 is the rating I'm giving this book. It wasn't terrible or anything and was an easy read but as I said the way the relationship between Delia and June was described didn't make sense to me at times. I also feel like June made some very poor decisions in crucial moments that weren't impaired by alcohol or anything of the like. She just suddenly went with what was happening and that's the way things were. There were a lot of things that happened that didn't really have any consequences either which seems a little too perfect to me because things do come back to bite you in the butt later.

Has anyone else read this book? What did you enjoy about it? If you haven't read it, are you interested in it? Why or why not?

2 comments :