Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Book Review - Pacific Rim

I'm so happy by the response I got to my first book review. While I was away fishing for Labor Day Weekend I brought along another book with me to read so it's time to review that one as well. I'm going to try and keep this going with the hope that it will get me back into reading regularly like I used to before grad school ruined it for me. Today we're delving into science fiction so get ready.

Summary: When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity's resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes-a washed up former pilot and an untested trainee-who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind's last hope against the mounting apocalypse.

Language: There's some swearing because they are adults and the world is ending but no enough to be a turn off.

Violence: It's Jaegers vs. Kaiju so there are giant robots fighting the alien monsters that are invading Earth. These battles are described well enough to make sense and aren't all about gore. There is a physical fights for Jaeger training and a physical fight between characters in the book as well. There are characters that die so be prepared.

Drugs/Alcohol: None. Unless the radiation shielding medicine counts as drugs but that's to keep them safe. Everyone is pretty much clean which is amazing considering it's the end of the world.

Sex: None. This book is all about action and that's what I love about it. There isn't even much romance although a little was thrown in at the end that I will fight you on because Guillermo Del Toro even said it wasn't meant to be a romance so I didn't care for the wording using to have a kiss because that's not how it was supposed to be.

Review: I've seen the Pacific Rim movie and I loved it. What's not to love about robots fighting alien monsters? So getting my hands on the book was even more fun just to read I can't just know someone dies. Even if you've seen the movie there is so much more backstory given in the book. The little details helped to make it as well. There were newspaper clippings, PPDC files on Jaeger pilots, and scientific studies added inbetween different chapters just to give more background information. I was worried that it wouldn't be detailed enough to describe the battles in such a way that I could picture it in my mind but I was proved wrong. The descriptions of the battles were fantastic. The book didn't match exactly everything that happened in the movie but that was fine at some parts because it kept the story moving. Other parts I will fight the author on because of Guillermo Del Toro stating in interviews what was and wasn't happening but I understand why the author did what they did at times because of the genre and fan base.

Rating: 10/10 is the rating I'm giving this book. I loved reading it.

Has anyone else read this book? What did you enjoy about it? What did you dislike about it? If you haven't read it, are you interested in it? Why or why not? Let me know in the comments below.


No comments :

Post a Comment