Friday, April 29, 2016

OkCupid - High Expectations

I deal with plenty of different people on a daily basis due to my work and the fact that I have friends who move in different social circles so I almost always meet someone new and have an interesting discussion with them. There are plenty of different background stories that people have about how they were raised and what they did in school. It always fascinates me but one thing is the same that they had some sort of drive to get to where they want to be and do what they want. Yet on the OkCupid app, I found someone with none of that.

Maybe I'm doing things wrong but I do have some expectations for a guy at this point in life. If they are around my age then they should either be in college or starting an internship or their career. Throw in a part time job while attending college and that shows me you're working hard and dedicated. Something along those lines is acceptable to me. Apparently that is too high of an expectation for me to have.

Some guy named 9TN started messaging me and I was nice and replied to his questions. He wasn't a loser who started off the conversation with the same dull compliment on how I looked but when we started talking about what we did for work he told me that he worked in retail. That's fine, I understand that. I worked retail during high school because it was a job and I made money to put gas in my car and have fun with my friends. But this guy then continues on to tell me that he isn't attending college. I figure maybe there's a reason like finances or something along those lines because it is expensive but no. He's just never gone to college. Now, this guy isn't some 18 year old fresh out of high school. He's in his mid 20's.

Again, this might just be me but to not even try to go to college blows my mind. I know plenty of people who just figured that college wasn't for them and realized that after attending a semester or two before going off into the military or even going into construction or some other field that only requires a high school diploma. That's fine. You're into your career and doing something. But to just be working as a cashier in retail with no real plans to do anything else? That blows my mind. When I worked retail I knew people that only made it a level or two above cashier after working there for years and they were still there even well into their 40's and 50's. I just can't handle that. I don't expect you to be a millionaire but I expect you to be doing something with your life where you can excel and expand your horizons, you know? Either way the conversation pretty much died after that.

No comments :

Post a Comment